Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Jul 2015 09:36:06 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Crazy Idea On Mismatched Tires
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>

For a number of reasons I would go with larger tires all around. 215/70-15 should work on all fours. Your wheel offset may make an issue up front. That tire will get you a 98 load index though. Just be sure the tire choice is one that is rated to be inflated to 51 psi. This will give you a tire almost 27" diameter as compared to the 25.6 you have now. From 817 revolutions per mile to 744 revolutions per mile. You can use your head and GPS to compensate for the speedometer error. The Vanagon odometer reads high so this change will also correct it.

This is one of the reasons I like to go with 16 or 17 inch wheels. The 225/60-16 and 225/55-17 tires are 26.5 inch. The ideal compromise in size. Both of these sizes are readily available in extra load ratings (101 or 102), and there are so many high performance and winter tire options available.

While slowing the engine down makes for more comfortable cruising the fuel economy savings is minimal with the water boxer. You still are accomplishing the same work which is pushing that box through the air. As RPM's go down for a certain horsepower requirement the torque or stress has to go up. This begins with longer term increased combustion pressures in the engine resulting in higher peak flame temperatures. The result is increased emissions of NOx, (why these engines were low compression and geared to spin fast), and increased tendency for detonation, (knock and ping). The detonation usually goes unnoticed until you have to deal with the damaged pistons, rings, or burned valves.

Dennis