Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jul 2015 21:16:14 -0400
From:         Marc Perdue <mcperdue@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Frydae, camping alternatives

Hi all,

Seeing as I'm really ticked at my van right now, because it has some noise in cylinder 1 and I've only got 50-60K miles on my Boston Bob big valve engine, I'm actually considering alternatives to a Westy. The only reason I can consider this is that I inherited my Dad's 4WD Toyota pickup which can easily tow a trailer into the "outback". This got me thinking, which might not be a good thing . . .

Do you all know if there's something like this available in the U.S. market? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXbsK18NaRU

Now, to be fair, I LOVE my Westy. I am basically restoring it because there's nothing else like it on the market for camping at music festivals. Part of that decision was based on the fact that I've replaced the transmission with one of Daryl's and it's been awesome. I've replaced the rebuilt original engine with a Boston Bob big valve engine, which has been awesome. I've replaced a lot of other things, so I felt like buying another van would be having to start all over. I've repaired all the rust and repainted my van because I'd already replaced most of the drive train. Now I'm looking at the possibility of buying another rebuilt engine for it. I don't know yet; Keith has had it for 3 weeks and hasn't had the time to pull the engine out and open it up to see what's wrong. So, I guess what I'm saying is I'm feeling a bit depressed about how my van isn't being there for me and how I'm not going to be able to spend 10 days starting next week camping out at the most awesome old-time music festival ever because my van crapped out on me. Again.

I could use a little support here...

Thanks for being here, y'all! Marc Perdue

PS--A friend of mine offered the use of his 91 Westy with 75K original miles to go to this festival, which is about the most amazingly beautiful thing another human being could do for me. I really don't want to risk having something happen to his van though. This is a truly amazing community. I would miss this if I sold my Westy.