Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Jul 2015 04:33:05 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Westy camping in Europe, home now, part 2

Several people have asked about official hassles in bringing a van into Europe and driving it around. We didn't have any questions raised and no big hoops to jump though. We stayed inside the EU though. The van was shipped with the license plates removed and I carried them in my luggage on the plane. We never dealt directly with any governmental entity, just shipping company and customs brokers.

Before we could pick up the van in Belgium we stopped at an autoclub office in Germany and bought what is termed "green card insurance" to have liability coverage to meet legal requirements within the EU. We gave a copy to our customs broker in Belgium who provided it to Belgian Customs. Several days later we were given clearance to take delivery from the shipping office at the port. We took a cab to the dock, handed a piece of paper over to the shipping company, and drove it away. Then we stopped to put some gas in it since you have to ship with the tank nearly empty. At the gas station I also installed the license plates.

We suffered no real hassles of any kind while traveling around. The EU countries have no border guards to speak of between member countries. You can't always tell you are even crossing from one to another. We crossed many borders without being sure exactly when the line was crossed.

We saw police many times in many places as we drove. At various times I thought we might be pulled over by a cop driving right behind us or a traffic cop standing on a corner in a small town looking at us. It never happened. On our last day we were in the Netherlands headed for Amsterdam to store our van. Outside of town there was a police checkpoint setup for some reason. About 8 cops, directing all vehicles into a parking lot. The cop said "are you American?" and then asked for "license and registration" and made friendly small talk in English as he looked at them. He pulled out his phone and took a picture of my Calif driver's license before showing it to his buddies. Then he gave our stuff back and said we could go.

The camping was great overall and gave us a place to leave our vehicle without worry when we took a bus or train into town. We had a UK AutoClub Europe Campground guide that helped us pick camps with good public transit options. Anytime we had to leave our van parked somewhere else we were nervous until we got back to it. The camps always gave us a safe feeling no matter how long we were gone from our van. More on the camps later.

Mark

Theodore Hoekman wrote: > A good friend of mine who has an identical 95 Eurovan Winnebago camper (EVC) to mine did the same thing. >Shipped it over, then lived in it and traveled for 3 years all over Europe and UK. >They encountered a small number of campers with US/North American plates on them. >There were significant hoops to jump through in some jurisdictions, and the papers which made it clear you were going to take the van back to the US. >They had Washington State plates, which drew a lot interest/queries. > > > > On Jul 18, 2015, at 10:13 AM, mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET> wrote: > >> We shipped our Westy over and camped in 10 countries. We covered about >> 6,000 miles in 2 months, mostly on secondary roads and smaller. We >> stayed at public and private campgrounds and often took trains or buses >> from them into the cities for tourist activities. The camping was easy >> and the people were friendly. Our Calif plates stood out and people >> gawked at them everywhere we went, at times like we were in a UFO. I >> can't tell you how many times someone saw the front plate and then went >> to the back to see if it matched, then scratching their heads.