Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Jul 2015 09:35:59 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Crossing the Canadian border...
Comments: To: Dan N <dn92610@gmail.com>

RE: Border Crossing In the late '70s and early '80s I crossed from Washington to BC to shoot in pistol competitions. About once a month, sometimes twice. We always used the truck crossing at Blain. And had a lot of varied experiences with Canadian Customs and the RCMP. Usually we had called ahead and the proper paperwork was waiting at Customs. But the last few years the RCMP officer in Surrey got tired of typing up paperwork for one weekend for 10 to 20 people and dated the paperwork so it was good to the end of the calender year, that made things easy at the border. One caution we did take was to get the paperwork from US Customs for each pistol to prove that we had brought the pistols from the US when we returned. But were never asked for that paperwork. Usually the only question we got returning was "How did your do?" and we would hold up any trophies we might have won, get a big smile and be waved on through. Those days are long gone and because of the much more complicated process for getting the right paperwork to take firearms into Canada that were imposed (even before 9/11) few US shooters compete up there anymore. But I can guarantee that at that time if you pulled up to Canadian Customs and said that you had firearms on board there were no more questions, all came to a screeching halt until you could show paperwork or explain that the paperwork was waiting in the office. We could have been transporting just about anything else but were never asked about fruits, vegetables, drugs or anything once 'guns' were mentioned.

And anecdote from about that time. A female friend of mine and here boyfriend were heading up to Vancouver for the weekend. They got to the boarder, stopped, and the Canadian Customs officer asked "What is the purpose of your trip?" and the boyfriend answered "Rape and pillage". The customs officer looked puzzled, then grinned and waved them through. I don't suggest that approach today :)