Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2015, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Jul 2015 19:51:57 -0300
From:         Roy Nicholl <RNicholl@NBNET.NB.CA>
Subject:      Re: Coolant leak - it was bound to happen

So life has been just crazy and the Hyena ('88 WBX) has sat in the drive and dripped about 1/2 litre of coolant over the past three weeks. This week the 4-yr old has been on my case about going camping (our adventure from Calgary to New Brunswick started 1-yr ago this weekend), so I made time this evening to crawl under the van, de-gunk the engine, and find my leak.

Unfortunately, Dennis was on the money and the leak is coming from the seal around the shaft on the water pump.

I had a look at the Bentley and replacing the pump looks fairly straight forward (like maybe an hours effort?), but of course, the manual never tells you those things which frequently go astray - like what are the chances any of the bolts/lugs will be damaged?

I've started checking around for a pump. The Bentley gives part number "025 121 010 C", my local auto parts place has "025 121 010 D" and "025 121 010 F" available to them, but could not tell me the difference ... I have asked them to find out the brand/manufacturer before ordering one.

In addition to the pump, o-ring, gasket for the crossover, should anything else {any of the hoses} be replaced as a matter of course since I'll be spilling coolant and need to bleed the system.

On the matter of spilling coolant ... is there way do do this without draining the reservoir ... or should I be draining it and rinsing it to remove any debris before re-filling the system? Also, is there a way to pinch-off or plug the lines from the pump to minimize coolant loss?

Roy