Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Aug 2015 20:29:24 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front shocks replacement question
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET>

I just replaced my son's on Sunday (second time I've done this job, first was on my '85), and you don't need a spring compressor, you use the vehicle's weight. You need a full size floor jack and stands. First, jack up the front high enough to get the wheels off and lower the van on to stands under the cross member. Have chocks under both sides of both wheels that are on the ground.

You then use the jack under the lower control arm as near to the brake backing plate as you can get it so you don't block the opening where the shock will have to drop down. Raise the jack, compressing the spring, until you are lifting the van off the jack stands slightly. This should be enough to compress the spring adequately for installing the shock, it has been for me anyway. If not, you can have an assistant sit in the front seat.

A ratcheting 17 mm box wrench is a joy on this job, and use an adjustable crescent wrench to hold the shaft at the top. For the '85 with pressed steel lower control arms the lower shock bolt is inside the box. I used a 1/2" drive air wrench with an extension to get at it. It's a 19mm bolt and nut. Tighten to 110 ft lbs.

The van has to be high enough to get the shock in and out from the bottom. You will reinstall the dust shield onto the shock and then the spacer tube over the shaft on top of the dust shield that is in the old rubber bushing. Just get the top nut started to hang the shock and then you should be able to align the lower bolt easily (adjust the jack if necessary). Then tighten the top nut fully until it tightens against the spacer.

For the rears, you also need to support the rear lower control arm with a jack, but these shocks are bolted top and bottom and easy to replace.

All four should take no more than a couple hours.

Stuart