Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Aug 2015 07:13:33 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Soft shackles
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca>

I often use motorcycle tie-downs to attach heavy loads for pulling...The motorcycle tie-downs I've got are 1" webbing that is sewn into a double loop..The center of the double loop is sewn into a single piece, leaving two loops attached together...These are usually about 12" long overall...You are meant to loop one end back through itself, , , around parts of your motorcycle (usually it's the handlebars) and then use a ratchet tie down (or a fancy tensioning knot in a rope) through the remaining loop..These moto tie downs are inexpensive, easy to stow and quite strong. You can use one on either or both ends of the tow to save your strap from abuse...I tow with either an old climbing rope or a piece of spectra yacht braid I had as an anchor line....

Rigging stuff is very cool to know how to do...I carry some blocks (pulleys to you landlubbers) along in my Vanagon rather than a winch or a come along....Very useful for multiple tasks I encounter....