Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Aug 2015 06:07:32 -0400
From:         Dake Collins <wuwe423@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Living the Dream
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET>

Eric - Great write up on Falcon Ridge. It’s been on my ‘short list’ for years, maybe next year. Dake ‘Ian' > On Aug 4, 2015, at 12:10 AM, Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET> wrote: > > East coast event report no mechanical content. > > Positive VW event report > > From this past weekend, > > > The Falcon Ridge Folk Festival in Hills Dale NY happens annually the first weekend in August. It is a perfect place for a folk music lover to take full advantage of having a VW bus, van, or camper. I’ve attended the Three day concert 5 times in the past 20 years or so, once in my 76 Westfalia, once with a tent, and the last three years with my 85 Westfalia. In all cases the music was great. However, only with the VW did I really enjoy the full magic of the weekend. Now that I live nearby this will continue to be an annual summer event. > > > The 2015 Festival was especially enjoyable due to the increased presence of other VW campers. On Thursday I arrived and drove to my usual spot in the upper pasture. I put the extra leveler’s I brought to work on the slope and had a spot with lovely sound and I’m told lovely views. Almost immediately campers from past years stopped by to say hello and comment on my VW Camper. Ok some visitors also were there to comment on my lovely guide dog. After listening to a free concert at the Lounge stage I went off to sleep about midnight. The campfire stages provided music late into the night. > > The next day I got a lovely surprise. Two friends met at a few past VW bus events called and said they would be joining us. By 4:00 our two pop tops were clearly visible on the ridge. It was not long after that when more visitors began to arrive. Among those that stopped by to discuss VW campers were many past and future owners. But some of the visitors really stood out. > > Todd Candelli, Cousin to Frank pulled up in a ford Van and parked in line with us. He moved up to join us from the louder camp area below. A 1978 Westphalia with Hawaii plates almost camped with us but he said he didn’t have levelers and the slope was just too much for him. The young woman with a lovely camperized 87 Synchro showed up and not long after her father, who worked on that van and many others, stopped in. They had already set up camp below but I expect we will be joined by them up above next year. A man name Dean described his 79 Westphalia with a recent Subaru conversion. It was almost ready for Falcon Ridge but he felt he needed just a bit more work before he should take it on a long hot trip. Down below one other vanagon and at least two euro vans were among those camped closer to the pirate stage and other extra performance sites. Another Vanagon was spotted dropping off musicians by the main stage. > > This event has much of the same positive energy as a VW bus gathering. But the music, venders, and joyful people add a different but positive experience. > > In the vendor area I found some amazing VW bus stickers. Some of the most fun I’ve found in a long time. It will take some time to decorate my bus with them. I’ll also share the extras I bought at the next VT West river Westy’s auction fundraiser. > > Before leaving the concert on Sunday we moved our two Westphalia’s down into the lower area. We could see them from the main stage area. There was a constant flow of people stopping to walk around the two vans. These concert campers appreciated those VW campers! And, I certainly felt very fortunate to be “living the dream.” > > > East coasters or travelers Consider joining us next year. The more VW campers in the upper pasture the better. There is a wide range of music and activities. Some folks stay up very late playing and listening to music. Others rise early and go hiking or swimming at lovely local spots. It is a magical time that would be even more special with more VW folks gathered together. > > > > If you want more info about the event or tips for making the camping extra comfortable email me and we can share info or arrange a call. > > One helpful thing to know. The organizers appreciate volunteers and also hire folks on Monday to help with clean up. Between volunteering and clean up, folks on a tight budget can still enjoy the festival and go a long way to covering the ticket cost. For me the price including camping and great music is well worth it. > > Eric Caron > 85 GL Auto Westfalia > Living the Dream in Southern VT