Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Aug 2015 20:29:34 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Sink problem, where to find parts?
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

Though I have had a leaky drain, it was not from the trap itself. When I removed all the drain parts, the trap did come apart. I replaced the leaky line and clamps, and put everything back together, not including any adhesive for the trap parts. It has never leaked again. This is on a 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Campmobile. mcneely

---- Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > I've never seen a new one, but it may well have been a friction fit for easy removal to clean it out that has now lost its "friction" and needs to be glued. > > Stuart > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Eric Caron > Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2015 3:28 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Sink problem, where to find parts? > > Hi Stuart and others, > > can you tell me in a little more detail exactly what you used to glue it back together and how you went about it? > I have the bottom piece and the top piece intact and not leaking. but there is nothing now to hold the two pieces together. What did you use to put them together? will this seal without anything else in between or anything else holding it together? > > I don’t know what goop is. > > > Eric > > 85 GL Auto Westfalia > > > > > > On Aug 8, 2015, at 5:37 PM, Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > You likely don't need it, but you can get the assembly: http://vanagonwestfaliaparts.com/product/faucets-pumps-plumbing-h20/westfalia-sink-parts-p-trap-kit/ > > > > Every Westy I've owned or worked on (4 now) the bottom part has fallen off the top part. That screw just plugs a useless drain hole, plug it with silicone, and use Goop to glue the trap to the bottom of the top part. This has worked for me for years now, and I just did this repair on my son's '87. > > > > Stuart > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Eric Caron > > Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2015 1:38 PM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Sink problem, where to find parts? > > > > Hi folks, > > While trying to improve wiring under my sink the drain fell apart. > > > > Is there a vender that has the parts so i can get them quick as I’m off for a trip on Thursday. > > > > the part that broke looks like a tiny bolt that goes straight up into the drain holding the bottom up against a thin gasket. the tiny screw is completely rotted away and the bottom of the drain is dangling. the plastic parts are old and fragile so i’m hoping I can get replacements. > > > > Any tips would be greatly appreciated as I really use and depend on that sink when camping. > > > > > > Eric > > > > 85 GL Auto Westfalia = > >

-- David McNeely