Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Aug 2015 00:30:42 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Flickering oil light on idle.
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

Unless you have done oil sampling-testing you don't know how well you oil is doing or what is happening to it. From testing experience the Waterboxer can actually be quite hard on oil. The high speed, high load operation makes for high piston-ring temperatures which cause the oil to oxidize. This shows up an nitration. This causes the oil to thicken and loses the ability to lubricate. Even using Mobil 1 this effect has shown up after ~7,500 miles. Engines running conventional oil has had this happen at around 3,000 miles. Since the Waterboxer does not seem to pick up road dirt or wear particles the synthetic should be good for the 7,500 mile change intervals. While Fun Bus now has a broken 4th gear (again) and I just haven’t had the time to fix it the engine is still going at 283K miles without even having the heads pulled. I has used Mobil 1 15w-50 or 0w-40 since new and except for the Alaska trip it gets 7,500 mile oil changes. Yes it has an oil cooling system That I believe helps a lot. The increased cost of the oil has been offset by reduced maintenance and the fact that this engine still runs.

Dennis