Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Aug 2015 01:41:47 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Proper Tire valve stems?
Comments: To: "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Great point, Scott!  When embarking on a Vanagon adventure, always make sure there are 5 good tires.  Everybody...check the spare.  Will do myself this weekend.

RichSan Diego

From: "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2015 6:35 PM Subject: Re: Proper Tire valve stems? slightly related.. How many tire stores check the customer's spare tire when they sell them a set of 4 new tires ?

as far as I know .. ZERO ...not only are they missing a sales opportunity ..they are leaving ( esp. in Vanagons ) in some cases,  a 25+ year old ( potentially deadly )  tire in the car as a spare.

On 8/20/2015 8:33 AM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > T, every tire dealer nowadays automatically replaces valve stems, I believe.  Discount Tire, which I use, does not line item them in the invoice, but rather claims that they are "free."  Of course, that really means that they are included in the price.  I think the reason for this is that they are liable for damages if there is a serious problem due to failure.  No dealer wants to deal with anything that they can avoid.  I always make it a point to query tire vendors about the valve stems, and make sure I get ones that are appropriate for the application. > > Long ago dealers line itemed them in the invoice, and would not install new ones if the old ones worked and the customer didn't want to pay for them.  The old "Four Day Tire Stores" only installed new stems at customer request, but would point out if the old stems seemed bad. > > mcneely > > ---- T Collins <tonycollin@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >> Hello List, >> >> I'm about to get all new tires mounted. I know these are LT tires and are >> rated @65psi. When replacing the valve stems is there any that "NEED" to be >> used because of the higher PSI. >> >> I dont want a leaky tire with these​. I have the 14" steel wheels. Also I >> think the current stems are too short. Should they be 2" valve stems? >> >> What says you? >> >> Thanks, >> T. > -- > David McNeely >