Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Aug 2015 12:06:38 -0700
From:         Mark Hersh <cmwolfsburg@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Proper Tire valve stems?
Comments: To: "SDF ( aka ,jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

I just had new tires (interweb purchase) mounted by a FLTS (friendly local tire shop; couldn't figure way to get an "A" into middle of the acronym and didn't want to say "auto" because they service farm equipment and big trucks also!) and they supplied free a used spare because mine too, was probably one of the original Continentals. That was done on my request; don't know if they would have volunteered to check my spare. They didn't have a 185 but a 195 fit; it took them a big of digging to find something that fit in the clamshell. So hopefully I'll never need the thing and can replace it in a couple years when I get four new tires. I'm running 15" rims on the van so the spare would just be something to get us slowly and gingerly off the highway to help.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 12:55 AM, SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott ) < scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

> definitely worth the investment ...... a used tire gratis. > > as long as that particular tire never fails !! > which is unlikely probably. > > > > On 8/20/2015 5:28 PM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > >> ---- "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> wrote: >> >>> lol... >>> I"m not having a fear .. >>> I'm just bothered by how sloppy and careless they are. It could kill >>> someone. >>> >>> I've also seen a tow truck driver change a flat for a Vanagon owner .. >>> and put on an Original, Actively Failing Contentnetal tire. >>> >> In the opposite direction, an acquaintance of mine reported to me that >> Discount Tire refused to put his spare on because of its age/condition. >> So, he was about to leave when the store manager was alerted and spoke to >> him. The manager pulled a used tire out of stock, had it mounted and >> balanced on his wheel, and had it installed on the vehicle, no charge. He >> had bought a set of tires for a different vehicle a few weeks before, and >> had thought he would not buy a spare right now, just wait until he accrued >> another pay check, if necessary not driving that car until he could get >> another tire. The personnel at that store (1) were concerned about >> liability, and (2) wanted to keep his business. It was worth the $25 tire >> and the time involved to take care of the situation to their satisfaction. >> >> mcneely >> >>

-- 86 Campmobile Six-Seater "Monty"

Black dogs are euthanized at a greater rate than other-colored dogs, regardless of temperament. Learn about Black Dog Syndrome at http://www.blackpearldogs.com/ Learn about black dogs in a Vanagon at http://www.pbase.com/mhersh/image/108220533