Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Aug 2015 11:59:05 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: From flickering oil light to valves clacking
Comments: To: Tyler Hardison <tyler@SERAPH-NET.NET>

if you take off the oil filter.. empty that out, put it back on .. fire it up .. check oil level again .. that's a very simple way to remove a little oil at a time without a big mess.

it's critically important to not be too full on oil. the upper mark should be regarded as a Never Exceed Measured Warm oil level mark.

aim for 'right between the marks, warm engine, van sitting level. '

fwiw ..I would NEVER let any oil change 'jiffylube' type shop change me oil.

You can tell her that doing so with a Vanagon has cost people an entire engine. ( rare ..but one diesel vanagon guy .....you know. )

also ...you'll get a more proper oil filter by buying them yourself. I just use a stock german Mann ...'Which brand oil filter' is a whole other discussion of course.

lol...on one jiffylube type invoice I saw they charged $ 1.50 for a new oil filter ..

What kind of quality of an oil filter can they use if they only charge that little for it ?

if you want it done right and carefully .. do it yourself is what I live by.

On 8/17/2015 8:02 AM, Tyler Hardison wrote: > To the top level! But this makes sense, aeration would explain my symptoms. > I should have done a parking lot oil change against my wife's wishes. Oil > Can Henry's only allows for filling to the manufacturer's specs. Might be > able to spin the oil filter loose and drain it? Otherwise I might have > driven enough for the level to drop. > > I'm still in Bend. Wife must shop, and I must visit my favourite brewers. :) > > -- t > > On Monday, August 17, 2015, Jeff Schwaia <vw.doka@gmail.com> wrote: > >> Hey Tyler, >> >> Not sure if this has been asked... is your oil level half-way on the dip >> stick? >> >> If you overfill the WBXer, the crankshaft will splash the oil in the case >> and cause it aerate. In turn, this will reduce your oil pressure. More >> prone to happen after longish highway runs. >> >> Cheers, >> >> Jeff >> >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com >> <javascript:;>] On Behalf Of Tyler Hardison >> Sent: Sunday, August 16, 2015 9:23 PM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <javascript:;> >> Subject: Re: From flickering oil light to valves clacking >> >> Hmm.. Still have the oil light, although less frequently. Valves chattered >> once after a run at 65 mph for a few hours. Backed off to an average of >> 50-55 and it went away. >> >> Still averaged 18.9 mpg over the last run of 380 miles. >> >> On Sunday, August 16, 2015, Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com >> <javascript:;>> wrote: >> >>> It will evaporate in a thousand miles or so, so check the oil level. >>> If your valves are clattering all the time, you may need that engine >>> sooner rather than later. >>> >>> >>> >>> Stuart >>> >>> >>> >>> *From:* Tyler Hardison [mailto:tyler@seraph-net.net <javascript:;> >>> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','tyler@seraph-net.net <javascript:;>');>] >>> *Sent:* Saturday, August 15, 2015 9:35 PM >>> *To:* Stuart MacMillan >>> *Cc:* vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com <javascript:;> >>> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com <javascript:;> >> ');> >>> *Subject:* Re: From flickering oil light to valves clacking >>> >>> >>> >>> 4oz measured. Just enough for the extra solvent properties. >>> >>> On Saturday, August 15, 2015, Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com >> <javascript:;> >>> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','stuartmacm@gmail.com <javascript:;>');>> >> wrote: >>> Tyler, >>> >>> MMO is a thin, light solvent--you just diluted the physical thickness >>> (viscosity) of your thicker oil! How much did you add? >>> >>> Stuart >>> >>> >>> >>