Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Aug 2015 22:05:32 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: automatic aux battery charger + inverter setup
Comments: To: Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>

There are inverter-charger combinations that include the changeover relay to go from shore to inverter power. Typically these are for larger RV's and they used to be horribly expensive. You should note that once you cross into any installed 110 volt circuit even in a vehicle you have to consider "code" requirements including that all devices and components be designed and listed for the application. In the Westy we can get effected both as a recreational vehicle and a dwelling.

That said take a look at the Xantrex Freedom series of inverter-charger combinations.

The Freedom HF Inverter/Charger is one of the smallest, lightest, and most affordable inverter/chargers in the market today. The Freedom HF Inverter/Charger features modified sine wave output and is designed to operate entertainment systems and small appliances in boats, RVs and trucks. The Freedom HF is available in three models 1000 watts with a 20-amp charger, 1000 watts with a 55-amp charger and 1800 watts with a 40-amp charger. - See more at: http://invertersupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1464&cPath=0_245#sthash.9wFFOfC6.dpuf

Some more information

Product Features Designed to power demanding loads such as microwave ovens, TVs, DVD players, small appliances and other electronic equipment

Removable digital display pre-attached with 25 extension cable for remote system monitoring Ignition lockout feature helps to minimize battery drain Automatic three-stage battery charger Designed to be hardwired using quick-connect AC terminal blocks or by connecting AC through GFCI receptacles (included) Built-in 30-amp relay to automatically transfer between inverter power and incoming AC utility power Product Specifications | Download Product Manual | Download Protection Features Battery over-voltage and under-voltage protection Over-temperature shutdown Automatic overload protection Short-circuit protection Ground-fault protection ETL certified to UL458 for use in mobile RV and commercial applications - See more at: http://invertersupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1464&cPath=0_245#sthash.9wFFOfC6.dpuf

Do some shopping as prices vary. The unit with the 20 amp power supply-charger is ideal for our smaller batteries. With an automatic relay such as the sure power this will keep both chassis and house batteries in shape during storage.

Dennis