Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Aug 2015 18:58:39 -0400
From:         Jack Reynaert <jack007@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Paint preparation resource - sources
Comments: To: Kevin P Gilleran <kevin@GILLERANENERGY.COM>

Kevin,

To begin, the best practice is complete removal of original paint, down to bare metal. I sand blasted my van, but blast material made its way into the bell housing (and just about everywhere else), the rear main seal and clutch had to be replaced after the blast. If you sand or chemical strip the paint, that may be a bit safer.

Once all metal or body work is complete, then have your painter seal the van with a good epoxy enamel primer (no air to the metal = reduced resurfacing of rust). Then a base coat followed by a clear coat. See link to my restoration completed in 2006 (no rust has returned!) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d9eg49zqldz2y62/AABFW1b40gKX6tjQfuZQEoKEa?dl=0

It is also a good time to pull the window glass, and replace the window seals with the new Euro-seals. Consider tinting the glass at this time too.

Also, took all the screws to the local hardware store, and found Stainless Steel Replacements.

I found my painter by going to a local auto paint supplier and asked for referrals of good "independent" auto body painters. Found a true expert and could not believe the low labor cost per hour. He has remained a great friend to for the past 9 years too. He let me work alongside him, removing parts and replacing parts, applying tape and basically being his assistant.

Just won a trophy this year at a local classic car show here in Detroit.

Hope you find this helpful.

Jack R. 84 Westy, N. of Detroit.