Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Aug 2015 20:09:38 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Radiator Aux Cooling Fan 84 vs. 90
Comments: To: Jack Reynaert <jack007@COMCAST.NET>

I guess if it's on the Samba it must be true. The radiator fan switch senses the water temperature in the radiator closer the outlet than inlet. A higher temp thermostat will make less coolant flow until it fully opens allowing the radiator more time for it to cool. It is true that too low a temp fan switch will run the fan needlessly. A 75c switch is ridiculous. In hot weather with a good load you will never get the coolant temp that cool so the fan goes forever. If you use the AC the fan will run for the compressor anyway. If in this situation the radiator switch calls for the fan above that the radiator is either saturated with heat due to extreme conditions including it may not be good or the fan switch is too low.

Dennis

Dennis and everyone else,

Thank you for your great information.

PS... was thinking about the low-temp switch, but just saw this on TheSamba. "Just remember that the fan switch needs to be matched with the thermostat. If you run the low temperature fan switch with a higher than stock thermostat the fan may well run too often."

Jack

-----Original Message----- From: Dennis Haynes [mailto:d23haynes57@hotmail.com] Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2015 4:31 PM To: 'Jack Reynaert'; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: RE: Radiator Aux Cooling Fan 84 vs. 90

The wiring and operation of the 90 is drastically different than in the 84. The fan motor is much larger, one speed using a resistor to provide lower speeds and multiple relays for control. Also depending on variations some will have the cooling fan low speed operation effected or even disabled if the AC wiring is hacked. Here is a brief summary of expected operation.

Engine cooling When radiator fan switch calls for low speed cooling the switch directly supplies power from the fuse block through the resistor to the motor. When same switch calls for high speed there is a relay above the fuse box. This relay brings power directly from the battery (own wire) through a fusible link directly to the fan motor. A failed fuse for the control and low speed disables both these systems.

To support the Air conditioner When the compressor is on the fan runs at a low speed energized from a relay in the AC system. This also depends on the fan resistor. If system (AC) high side pressure increases due to insufficient cooling a pressure switch operates a relay in the fuse box to increase the radiator fan speed. Basically the other side of the fan resistor is placed in parallel increasing current flow and thus fan speed. If pressure continues to climb at some point the AC will get cut out and the fan will still run at the higher speed until it drops.

There are number of different pressure switch set ups. Most of the late vans use a single switch with multiple function often known as a trinary switch.

Trinary switch functions Low pressure (lost charge) cut out. 2 speed condenser (radiator) fan. High pressure cut out.

The 84 has none of these features or safeties. They just self-destruct when things go wrong.

Dennis