Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Aug 2015 19:25:40 -0400
From:         Jack Reynaert <jack007@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: UPDATE - Odd Brake Bleeding issue in 90 Westy & Rebuild -
              Drove              van today!!!
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Dennis,

We used standard pipes, and treated the exhaust pipes with the ceramic coating (inside and out) for a bit cooler engine compartment. We used "Weld-thru" on the stock muffler to extend life, had to modify the length of the pipe that connects to the "cat" from the header pipes, with a cut and slip joint. We put a Bung in the test-pipe and installed an O2 sensor. There is a bit more clearance than the photo shows for #4. It is slightly louder than my 2.1l, but assume that was due to no Cat. All motor mounting brackets painted with epoxy enamel primer and black paint. All shields and internal piping cleaned and treated with weld-thru. Agree on the KN, but our friends were sold on the GW comments, no winter driving, but yes summer highway travels, will try avoiding construction (ha-ha).

I'll post some more photos later.

Thanks for your input!

Jack

-----Original Message----- From: Dennis Haynes [mailto:d23haynes57@hotmail.com] Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2015 9:59 PM To: 'Jack Reynaert'; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: RE: UPDATE - Odd Brake Bleeding issue in 90 Westy & Rebuild - Drove van today!!!

Just curious, Why not use the GoWesty exhaust, especially their muffler? The coating won’t stop the Dansk pipes from cracking or the flanges from bending and letting the gaskets leak. Watch for the pipe from cylinder #4 hitting the engine support as soon as the new mounts settle. Not to buck GoWesty or others get rid of the KN air filter for winter use or highway travel especially through construction zones. They are not effective at stopping silica. Go for the Syncro high capacity filter for the increased air flow and real dirt holding capacity. Is that a stock style muffler? How did you get it mounted with the outlet in the wrong position? Should be between 7-8 o'clock. Test pipe in place of catalyst? Probably no need for O2 sensor.

Great job, obviously a lot of work. May the vanagon force be with you!

Dennis

To update... the Master Cly was bad (replaced unit a few years back, and never worked right). Problem has been resolved with new Master!

Took the van out for a drive today after completing the following: 1. Install of GW 2.2L Motor, new injectors, new exhaust, thermostat, sensors, mounts, etc. (we had exhaust coated locally)... see photo https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0fxjow9hxm9zbr/90Westy_GW%20Motor%20Installed.jpg ?dl=0 2. Install of new Master cly, and ft. brake lines. 3. New radiator (fill with http://www.busdepot.com/g001100 ) cut with distilled water. Plus Heater Valve (no more hot foot) 4. New AC Lines and Condenser (had local AC shop make up lines locally for around $225) 5. HEAVY duty Ground Straps EVERYWHERE! 6. New Aux. Fan Temp Switch 7. GW Dash Kit, replaced bad printed circuit board. (note: bad board = temp gage not working + bad Fan Temp Switch = prior motor head failure) 7a. Added GW Auditable Alarm for Temp gage! Get the kit + Alarm add-on! http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=24189 8. Added REAL COOL - Interior LED Lighting, wired to light over rear table, ran from rear cabinet to front (just in front of curtain glide track). http://www.ebay.com/itm/251707086240?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=550622 106181&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Check these out... very EASY to install, and bright too! Plan to also install these outside under rain gutter-separate switch (waterproof). 9. Finally found a glue to hold the Velcro for the Sky-Light screen. http://eclecticproducts.com/downloads/tds-quickhold-english.pdf 10. Castrol 20W50 per GW specs on new motor 11. All new hoses, fuel lines, K&N Filter

Here is a link to the complete parts list of items considered, as well as items ordered. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vantgiikzalp8ak/Vanagon_Mechanical_Rebuild.xlsx?dl =0 The quote from a local shop with $17k for this job, we did it for $8k in parts (got a few more than on this list, and got a far better motor than what the local shop had considered), and a bit of labor from me and my "expert" buddy, but well below the $17k.

Special thanks to: All the help and advice from This Vanagon List! & Go-Westy, Bus-Depot & Van Café' (for having ALL the parts we needed)

So nice to keep a Westy on the road! Our friends will still be able to join us camping this fall!

Jack R. 84 Westy Wolfie (with 2.1l, owned since 87) Our Friend's 90 Westy (now mechanically sound, for the first time since purchase 6 years ago).