Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2015, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Aug 2015 07:41:22 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon pleasures...

I've been "saving" my 84 5sp inline powered vanagon recently, driving my GM AWD Safari work van instead because I was hearing transmission noises coming from my Vanagon...Yesterday I squirted off the Vanagon and took it out. What a very different vehicle from that other minivan...Besides the obvious difference between an automatic transmission and the manual, the Vanagon is so much more 'connected' between the driver and the environment as you drive it....The Safari van feels a couple of steps removed from the road surface and the topography...it wallows along without a bit of feed back at the steering wheel or the seat of your pants...it lags when you let off the gas, and makes a big lurch and lots of whooshing when you hit the gas, but it just keeps plodding along...

After reading up on transmissions and making a careful diagnostic check driving my Vanagon 5sp I've decided...."life is too short to drive a sloppy van" (unless you absolutely MUST do so) I was fearful that the ring gear was being damaged in my 5sp VW box but it seems to be more just general wear and tear, causing a bit of noise at certain rpms and loads in my 4th gear, and a bit of whine in 3rd gear also... One thing I noticed is that I can hear every part of my Vanagon going down the road...the Safari just wooshes along....

I am going to keep on driving the Vanagon till the snow flies...heck with the transmission, it'll hold....fingers crossed here... Also, I like the fact that the Vanagon just did a 28 mpg tankful of gas mileage....over ten miles per gallon better than the GM van...Sure, the GM van has great traction and it's rated at ~5000lbs of towing capacity...but it isn't very fun to drive like the vanagon is....

Another note...Driving that Safari I am invisible! Absolutely nobody notices those vans. The Vanagon? Everybody notices, everybody has to try to pass you if you aren't speeding along...everybody smiles at you in Portland but glowers at you out in the countryside...On the other hand, you get the"one finger lifted off the steering wheel" salute from farmers and frackers when you are in the little GM generic worker van....