Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2015, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Aug 2015 00:05:03 +0000
From:         WILLIAM WITZ <pbwitz@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Road Trip to Yellowstone

Two Westy's 2,647 miles, what could go wrong?  Turns out not much.One Van a blue Syncro 25 years old. My Van a brown  2 wheel drive 31 years old with no AC.As we left Calif. the predicted high was going to be 106 in Sacramento. By the time we got to Auburn it was really hot but as the Vans climbed out of the valley into the Sierra it got more and more comfortable .We crested the Sierra and wound our way into Reno in was a shock to note that Nevada felt about 15 degrees cooler than Calif. We were in luck with the Weather and this turn out to be the pattern for the whole trip. The other thing that struck me was how much green their was along I-80 east bound across Nevada. Calif. has been gripped with a drought as has much of the far west.  After 5 hours we stopped to camp in  Winnemucca. We did not cook in or around the vans but went out to eat instead. We came back to the camp site and watched the sky turn as night fell. We would need a good nights rest for our trip tomorrow. Day 2 We drove from Winnemucca  to Wells on Hwy 80 East. At Wells we drove North on 93 to Idaho (we wanted to see Craters Of The Moon in Idaho) drove to Arco Idaho and camped for two nights.The large pool of Magma under Yellowstone was once under Craters Of The Moon. Just an amazing about of Lava an worth the effort. Don't know how anyone ever managed to drive a wagon train through it.Day 3 We drove from Acro  to Moran Wyoming crashing for the night. Day 4 We drove through Grand Tetons to Yellowstone from Yellowstone we drove Through to Gardiner Montana where we rented a house for the week as a base camp. Our party was perhaps or perhaps not, overly concerned about bears viewing our Westy's as a lunch box  and all the drama that could intail. more to Follow....Bill Witz 84 Westy Tiico