Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Sep 2015 07:39:32 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pop Top hinge loose?
Comments: To: Michael McSwain <michaelmcswain@gmail.com>

With digital phones and cameras available everywhere now, you might think of some way to use that technology to find the offending fault... Fix some recording device at your problem and go drive around, then check the recordings... A very savvy and smart engineer-friend found a design flaw in the Porsche 928 by doing that....It seems the 4 cams were not draining enough of the 'oil mist' out of the overhead cam galleries during sustained high-speed operation, leading to oil starvation at the main bearings...and frequent #4/6 main bearing failure was a common occurrence. He installed a lip stick camera in one of the cam galleries and recorded during a visit to Thunderhill raceway, which has a looong very high speed sweeper left hand corner...He discovered that about half way around that long left, turn 2, the oil level in the cam gallery he was watching rose up and covered the camera completely! rather than being returned quickly enough to the lower end and the main bearings. Fairly easy to fix, once he figured out the actual problem....

Surprising how some problems are only apparent once you are moving...and very difficult to trace down.