Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Sep 2015 22:17:11 +0000
From:         Todd Last <rubatoguy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: regearing a manual trans
Comments: To: vw_van_fan_Mark <madvws@COX.NET>

I had an SA 5 speed installed in my 2WD Westy and had 5th gear changed. As you state, in the VW 5 speeds, 5th is geared the same as the VW 4 speeds. Anyway, I went with a numerically lower 5th, and it makes hiway driving much nicer. About a 1mpg change in mileage overall. Did not change the R+P gearing. I would have also added a quaife diff had they been available, but since they were not, I added a syncro locking diff.  Overall a nice combination, but not cheap.   Todd '88 Westy