Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Sep 2015 21:57:47 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: 87 Syncro no temp gauge
Comments: To: Kk Al <kkalnsf@gmail.com>

At 08:03 PM 9/5/2015, Kk Al wrote: >Thanks for your time and info. We are >traveling , so I'll check the wire  before we >start out again tomorrow. The gauge came to life >a couple times for about two minutes then dropped back down.

Your low-coolant warning will still operate with the temp sender disconnected, but of course the overheat warning won't.

>The cooling fan and everything else seems to be working as it should. > >We've replaced the coolant pressure bottle and >sensor with an upgraded aluminum unit from Van >Cafe. I'll double check that as well

Smart. I just had a bottle start to weep right where the hard spot is at the beltline, where the minimum level mark is built up. It also has a crack that's visibly open on the outside but not yet leaking, on the shoulder between filler and sender. This is a tank apparently made from OEM molds (i.e. showing where some numbers were erased from the mold) that is less than five years old, possibly only three. I'm impressed, but not favorably. As far as I know the one it replaced was original, twenty-plus and showing beltline crackage but not leaking, and no shoulder cracks. The one on my '84 was still ok at twenty years.

Yours, David