Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Sep 2015 14:39:16 -0700
From:         vw_van_fan_Mark <madvws@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: 91 Westfalia - metal clips in headlight buckets that hold on
              front grill
Comments: To: Steve Williams <steve@WILLIAMSITCONSULTING.COM>

It is possible that the headlight brackets got swapped left for right. AFAIK the difference between the brackets is those clips. So the brackets are identical other than which set of holes those clips are installed in. There is a pair of holes for the clips when the bracket is a left side and a different pair of holes for the clips when used on the right side. If you switch the brackets the clips will be in the bottom holes where they don't do anything. So check to see if you have the clips there, but in the useless lower holes.

Mark

Steve Williams wrote: > Hi, > > I recently had an impact with the front end of my 1991 Westfalia right > in the area of the passenger head lights. > > The damage has all been repaired, I've re-installed the (straightened) > head light "buckets", or steel brackets that hold the 2 glass lenses. > > I then went to install the black plastic front grill only to discover > that the 2 metal clips that are press fit into the headlight buckets are > missing. I'm assuming the impact blew out the clips, since I don't > remember removing them (nor did I even know they were there until I > tried to re-attach the grill) . > > I took one out of the driver side headlight bucket & took it to my local > auto parts place and they just rolled their eyes. > > I've tried to search at least 3 of the online vendors with no success. > > Does anyone even know what I'm talking about? These are the little > metal clips that "trap" the plastic pins which attach the front grill to > the vehicle. > > Since I broke one the one from the drivers side when I tried to > re-install it, I need at least 3 of them. Are they a "generic" part > that I can pick up somewhere if I know the right thing to ask for? > > We don't have any vanagons in local wreckers, or that would be where I > headed. If I new it was used on a Jetta or some other vehicle, I would > go that route... but I can't even come up with a part number to be able > to find out what it crosses to. > > For now, zip ties to the rescue ;) > > Thanks, > Steve W. >