Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Sep 2015 08:47:37 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil coolers...The stock ones, are they all the same?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

The leak I found in my cooler is a result of a long section of pipe being in direct contact with the side of my cooler for about 3yrs now. It wore an actual diviot, which finally reached through the cooler into the coolant inside...When I fill the coolant bottle, a tiny geyser comes up about an inch, right out of the side of the heat exchanger (oil cooler)...

The vehicle we're talking about has the Jetta motor on the factory diesel bars, sitting over at 50 degrees, which let that pipe section lay, with gravity's help, right down, lightly, against the cooler...In the Jetta car, with the motor upright, I suppose that pipe is not sagging down against the side of the cooler, so no problem. I will suspend the next one without contact there.

I guess the inline VW motors and the WBX must have a different tolerance for abuse, I ran my original 1.8 liter inline from PDX to Mexico and back with my leaking headgasket, the one mentioned in another post, the one I think I caused myself by being unfamiliar with the behavior of the Vanagon Cooling System...(."Counterintuitive...") I doubt I'd have been able to do that with a WBX motor...Luckily, my "plan b" of "if she blows while I'm out on the road, I'll just stop at the nearest junkyard and get another $300 rabbit motor and stick that in the van"....that didn't happen....

Then when I got back from that trip in two months,(about 3500 miles) I popped the head off and lapped it's surface on a pane of plate glass and some emory cloth to "machine" the head before replacing that headgasket with one that Techtonics Tuning sells. I am still running that one, and there is no exhaust gas in the coolant or leaking, despite another 'mild overheat' that just occurred.... The complexity of the 'circulatory system' of the Vanagon.... This 'mild over heat' incident still doesn't make much sense to me...Sure, low coolant causes overheating, but I drove home almost 80 miles after topping up the coolant reservoir and the radiator and never again had to add coolant...I closely watched all the gauges and the motor's internals never heated back up again...(Oil temperature stayed below 200f) The coolant must have been sufficient to go 80 miles, but not the 190 miles I drove prior to overheating in the morning of the same day..