Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Sep 2015 10:06:46 -0600
From:         Steve Williams <steve@WILLIAMSITCONSULTING.COM>
Subject:      Where is temperature sensor & why does needle drop when heater is
              on?

Hi,

Driving my 1991 Westfalia, I see a phenomem that I do not understand.

When my van is up to temperature, the needle sits approximately where everyone describes, just below the LED.

On a cool day (around freezing yesterday), if I turn on the front heater, the temperature guage goes down.

This, I do not understand. I would have thought the front heater would not affect the temperature of the water exiting the engine coolant jacket that significantly.

As I type this email, I originally thought that the thermostat would start restricting coolant flow to the to the front radiator as the temperature lowered... but I imagine that it's not cooling off sufficiently for that to happen, since I think these vehicles have around a 185 degree thermostat & the coolant must be much hotter than that. On that note, what temperature range would the coolant be running at when the engine is "up to temperature". I'm considering getting an Infrared Temperature gun as a new shop tool.

Does the behavior I describe above make sense, the front heater causing the needle on the temperature guage to be a bit lower (about 1/2 a needle width)?

Also, what would make a van run a bit cooler? On some cooler days, it seems the needle can't quite make it up to the "normal" summer time location even without running the heater.

I don't drive that much in the fall, mostly summer time & don't use the heater, so don't really have a baseline comparsion to work with.

Thanks, Steve Williams