Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Sep 2015 12:59:03 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: The Vanagon cooling system.. it's counterintuitive.. (long
              post)
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

At 12:09 PM 9/7/2015, Don Hanson wrote: >Thank you, I will keep your helpful  'offer' in mind, David...  > > As I recall, you turn the key to run and that >blinky light (coolant level warning in the >center of the temp gauge, 84 chassis, who know >what dash pod or sender... started >blinking....stayed blinking....all day. > Eventually I will make the time to try again to trace down the problem. Â

The question is, when you turn the key on does it blink continuously, or does it blink for two or three seconds, stop, and a few seconds later start blinking again. If it stops and starts again, your gauge and panel voltage regulator are ok but a new-style coolant level controller is triggering. If it simply starts and keeps going, you need to check the voltage going to fuel and temp gauges; but the strong likelihood (which we can prove) is that there is a bad capacitor inside the gauge, which can be repaired or the gauge replaced.

>Â I lose patience and get quite frustrated after >a few times digging around under the dash pod, >messing with brittle tabs of those switches and >wires and foils. Â I am pretty proud of myself >every time I take the dash apart when I don't >make things worse, and I can still use my van >after I am done...Not fixing the >problem....well, there IS that, too....but not >making it worse...that is something, eh?

Yes, it is.

>Â Â The coolant level warning *has* moved up on >my "to do" list, but certainly not to the top, yet... >cheers.. Â

Whenever you get there. I'm simply saying that it's not a mysterious system, it has only a few failure modes, and we can determine with certainty what its problem is and cure it. If your panel has a tach Van Cafe has replacement gauges to fit it; if not, repairing the existing gauge may be more practical.

Yrs, d