Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Sep 2015 13:31:16 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Voltage leak found
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

Since Vanagons don't have an Accessory position on their ignition switch, since many radios draw some current when off, since I often want radio on but ignition off,

I always put in a little on-off switch for battery voltage supply to the radio. sure..one looses the stored radio stations each time, not too big a deal.

another way is to use the 'key-in buzzer' circuit in the ignition switch wiring .. that way you need the key inserted for radio B+ but the ignition doesn't have to be on, and you don't have to add a switch somewhere.

scott On 9/1/2015 3:08 AM, Jim Felder wrote: > About a month ago I wrote about having installed two pairs of USB ports and > an LED voltage display in my Vanagon. The round double outlet on the dash > took the place of my factory Eberspacher heater knob and the > outlet-and-voltmeter combination set neatly into what was the rear ashtray. > > That's when I noticed a drop in voltage that would flatten the battery > after a couple of days of being parked. Long story made very short, I > discovered that it was my radio in standby mode that was draining the > battery. I pulled the fuse to the radio on Saturday and this morning the > voltage is showing 12.9, exactly where it was when I pulled the fuse. > > The reason that this was unknown to me all this time is that coincident > with the addition of the USB ports the Vanagon was, except for use of my > wife's Prius, my daily driver had been the Vanagon. When I got a TDI Jetta > the Vanagon started sitting for days or a week at a time, and that's when > the problem showed up. > > I could wire the radio to the switched 12v circuit that no doubt came with > it, but then I would have to have the key on to listen to music while > camping. Is anyone using a switch on the circuit, and if so how was it done > and how does it work out for you? > > Jim >