Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Sep 2015 08:01:30 -0400
From:         john <john@JHL.MGACOXMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Perennial cool weather three blocks and stall problem ('84 1.9L)

The sudden change in the weather to cooler mornings here in Middle Georgia has brought back a perennial problem that has afflicted my '84 Vanagon (1.9L engine, automatic transmission) since I bought it in 1997.

Please note that in the last 18 years, everything mechanical and electrical associated with the engine has been replaced (including a new Boston Bob long block in 2003) except for ECU, FI cables and connectors, and the inlet manifold.

Van starts fine (overnight temperature now down to high 60s and humidity near 100%). Drive out of my driveway, half block to stop sign, full block to second stop sign (sometimes stall), and another full block to third stop sign and stall, if I don't drop it in neutral and apply light throttle). After that problem goes away until the next morning. If I take the route out of the neighborhood that goes about six blocks before the third stop sign, problem does not occur. I have about 60,000 km on the long block.

My Son (now 17) will be getting his drivers license in about four months. I need to get this problem fixed before I let him take out the van alone.

Please note problem does not occur if overnight temperatures are above 75 F, or when it is very cold.

Thank you very much.

John