Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Sep 2015 22:29:38 -0600
From:         Jon VO <jondvo@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW gets busted (NVC)
Comments: To: Jason <uberhare@GMAIL.COM>

I would be very surprised if VW is doing exactly what the EPA claims. I suspect there are complications in the engine management software that can give the impression of changes when under test. The state run emissions tests are pretty trivial in most states, the Colorado test is basically exhaust gas opacity which all the diesels I have had will pass easily. This issue must refer to the qualification tests that the vehicles go through. That said, I do not plan on getting the update, but bringing the car into the dealer for service, one may have no choice. I've got two Jetta TDI wagons, a 2003, and 2014. The 2014 exhaust is MUCH cleaner, albeit don't know about NOx. The fuel mileage on the 2003 varies from 43 to 50, on the 2014, 36-42, pretty much what is claimed. Jon

On 9/18/2015 8:41 PM, Jason wrote: > Here's my take. > > These cars have been getting better than EPA published mileage. If you > turn the emissions systems on full time (assuming they are not....) your > mileage will suffer. The EGR will be more active, the DPF will have to > regen more often (burning more fuel so it doesn't plug up....), and all of > the emission related components will plug up/fail sooner. I am all for > less polluting vehicles, but I think the extra emissions these vehicles are > potentially pumping out is nothing compared to the coal fired power > stations in 3rd world countries or ocean liners circumventing the earth. VW > must have had issues making mileage and meeting emissions if they really > did what was alleged. Europe has less strict NoX requirements I believe, > making it tougher for VW to meet fleet requirements in North America with > these engines. 2016 TDI's are currently being held at the port....Guess > now we know why! > > I'll just shut up now and go fill my airplane with leaded avgas and fly it > over the EPA office. :) > > Jason > > > On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 9:45 PM, Mike Miller <mwmiller6@att.net> wrote: > >> I know a lot of us have the vehicles in question. >> >> Question to owners: Are you planning to go in for the recall? >> >> >> -------------------------------------------- >> On Fri, 9/18/15, Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >> >> Subject: VW gets busted (NVC) >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Date: Friday, September 18, 2015, 6:37 PM >> >> Wow, what were they thinking? I >> wonder how many owners will go in for the recall >> though: http://nyti.ms/1MvDn0V >>