Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Sep 2015 14:21:36 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: VW gets busted (NVC)
Comments: To: Jon VO <jondvo@GMAIL.COM>

1. Hybrids do not use lithium batteries. The Tesla, an all electric vehicle, does. 2. As you point out, the electronics are not much more in hybrids than in conventional vehicles. 3. The batteries in a Prius last way more than five years. Mine is only one example, but at 142K miles, it will be 10 years on the road in January. 4. There is a reason those European diesel engines are not available here -- it is called pollution, specifically nitrogen oxides, which cause asthma, emphysema, and lung cancer. Nice trio, eh?

mcneely

---- Jon VO <jondvo@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > Hybrids contain much more electronics and of course the batteries, than > a typical liquid fuel vehicle, and the batteries do not last much more > than 5 yrs if cycled. Although now all cars have lots of electronics, > which adds to environmental concerns at end of life. Li batteries are > the big difference. > Diesels are about 20-30% more efficient than gas engines, overall. Once > emissions are handled - particulates & NOX, the difference narrows somewhat. > If the same diesels available worldwide were available in the US, there > would be considerable fuel savings. There are 1.2 - 1.6L turbo diesels > that do just fine, NA in the US. > just my 2c > > On 9/19/2015 11:59 AM, Sudhir Desai wrote: > > Vs infernal combustion engines. :) > > On Sep 19, 2015 12:55 PM, <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > > > >> Sudhir, can you document the claim that the "creation" of hybrids "causes > >> way more environmental damage"? Than what, btw? mcneely > >> > >> ---- Sudhir Desai <sudhir.desai@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > >>> I dunno... the EPA likes hybrids even though their creation causes way > >>> more environmental damage. Just my $.02. > >>> > >>> On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 10:29 AM, Jeff Palmer <jpalmer@mymts.net> wrote: > >>>> Sorry but I'll give the EPA the benefit of the doubt over VW here :) > >>>> > >>>> Jeff > >>>> > >>>> Sent from my iPhone > >>>> > >>>>> On Sep 19, 2015, at 12:22 AM, Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM> > >> wrote: > >>>>> Dear Vanagonitered > >>>>> > >>>>> It is my opinion this whole thing is politically motivated - either > >> VW was > >>>>> going to locate in Virginia or some other state and the deal went > >> awry or > >>>>> they decided to pull out of virginia or some other state and a > >> disgruntled > >>>>> some one or other got his buddy to fund the research and off to the > >> races > >>>>> to get a result - > >>>>> Next call EPA > >>>>> The chances that the largest car company in the world conspired to > >> cheat > >>>>> the EPA so they could sell vehicles in USA - > >>>>> Vanagon with out a sink and stove in Canada is called a station wagon > >> and > >>>>> it actually has something to do with chickens and a poultry import > >> export > >>>>> trade war > >>>>> Regards > >> -- > >> David McNeely > >> > >> > >>

-- David McNeely