Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Sep 2015 15:37:00 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Friday LVC: lubing old electric motors
Comments: To: Edward Maglott <emaglott3@gmail.com>

At 10:06 AM 9/20/2015, Edward Maglott wrote: >Thanks for the tips everybody. It's pretty >much what I've been doing but gives me some >ideas for those motors I want to go to extra >lengths to keep going for the long term. I've >got a couple old household fans that are worth >that effort. A nice heavy metal retro looking >Vornado is one, and a little oscillator from my >childhood. The immediate need is an electric >chainsaw. It's been making that horrible >chatter for a while when it is slowing down to a >stop. It belongs to some friends and I finally >got it from them to do a little rehab on it to >get a little more life out of it. The brushes >are also worn to the point you have to shake it to get it to start lol.Â

Buy it some new bushings and brushes, it will thank you for it.

>This also explains my work on my vanagon front >blower via the mullendore port technique. I >sprayed all kinds of stuff in that bearing but >it didn't seem to help. PB blaster, WD40, >triflow. I gave up and resigned that I'd need >to pull the dash and replace it eventually. It >still worked, but was noisy. Then, after some >time, voila, it started working smooth and >quiet! So I assume all the oil/solvent took a >while to work in there, soften deposits and get >that bearing in better shape.Â

That port technique is a stopgap. Bite the bullet now before winter sets in and open up the heater box and rehab the motor properly, along with the flap seals, cleaning up the core, checking the hinges on the hanging flap doors that let ram air bypass the blower -- if one of those falls off or sticks open it won't matter how well the motor works. Before you drive the motor shaft out of the blower wheel note how far it's driven on so you can duplicate it. Do not use the motor frame to drive on and off, only the two ends of the shaft. Driving off, you can rest the wheel on the jaws of a vise with the motor hanging in between. Put something right up underneath to catch it, or exercise a nice judgment of when to get your hand under -- if it falls end-on on the floor it will probably die. Take care not to disturb any balance clips on the blower vanes, there will probably be at least one. https://picasaweb.google.com/117189706757545167023/VanagonAnatomyOfABOSCHHeaterBlowerMotor

yrs, d