Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Sep 2015 09:51:06 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power Door Locks: Key Won't Turn Pass. Side Door Lock.
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 3:49 AM, David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net> wrote:

> If you can operate the lock using the knob, then the actuator is not at > fault.

I'd already checked. The knob indeed does not move by hand. I should have mentioned this.

What will trap the knob/key is the motor stopping prematurely, while the > cam is still engaged. It's a worm gear, you're not going to push it > backwards. Depending on why that might make all the locks except that one > cycle endlessly, I think (not going to draw it out right now). Failing > spring tension on the switch contacts might cause that; I"ve heard that > Biro springs can be cut down to serve. >

Thanks! That's the kind of info I was looking for. I recall those springs and lever on the part that slides up/down and the stationary contacts. Since I'd cleaned those parts, I'd assumed that a worn plastic part (worm gear etc.) was causing the mechanics to bind. But that didn't make sense given that those parts looked ok and tested out ok, part on the bench. But now I can totally "see" that if that "see-saw" lever had a failed-failing spring(s), poor electrical contact might result while contacts slide along the (3?) stationary brass contact faces. Depending on which contact it rested at, one could have a non op actuator or endlessly cycling locks?

At one point, I had the endlessly cycling lock issue. I thought it was due to water in the actuator and/or dirty contacts at the actuator pigtail and harness in door but in hindsight, it may well have been due to poor contact due to spring(s) wear.

Neil.

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>