Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Sep 2015 19:31:16 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil Temperature??
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

Of course, hot is a variable temperature. I guess that's why people put in oil temperature gauges. If pushed, at high ambient temperatures, no supplemental oil cooler, probably most of these beasts would fall below 8 psi at idle. But with a supplemental oil cooler, keeping the oil temperature closer to a reasonable value, the pressure stays above that value.

I may throw in synthetic 20W-50, though for right now, I don't seem to have a problem, given the external cooler and conventional 20W-50. But I did, before the cooler. mcneely

---- Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > Try Red Line 20w-50 synthetic oil. It gives me a 1-2 psi boost at all rpm > over 15w 50 because it is physically thicker. I'd love to see 30 @ 4000, > I'm closer to 25 when hot. > > It's the idle pressure that really tells you what's going on with the > bearings. Below 8 when hot means it's time to plan for a rebuild or > conversion. > > Stuart > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Robert Clemmer > Sent: Friday, September 25, 2015 1:17 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Oil Temperature?? > > I have a 91 2.1 WBX that just turned 300K miles on this past trip to FL. > The oil pressure is fine until the oil temperatures start to go on the north > side of 220 then it starts dropping proportionately with oil temperature. > Oil temperature starts climbing proportionately with outside air temperature > when the temperatures are above 85. When it is 95 or higher outside my oil > temps can go 240-250 and pressure will drop to 30 psi at 4000 rpm. > > > > Those of you have that have installed external oil coolers, how effective > have they been? What kind of temperature drop can I reasonably expect if I > decide to install an external cooler when I pull this engine to "freshen it > up"? > > > > Thanks for your comments, BobC

-- David McNeely