Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Sep 2015 22:24:42 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fryeday - Bio-Diesel Exhaust/Emissions
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

Diesels have a lot of excess oxygen since they don’t have throttles. Excess air combined with the high compression and high peak flame temperatures make for a lot of NOx. The soot is due to the poor vaporization and not getting all the fuel to react with oxygen even though there is an excess of it. Sulfur is from the fuel. Modern diesel is <15ppm beginning from 2007. This was to support the use of exhaust after treatment such as selective catalyst reduction and other means to reduce particulates and NOx.

As bio-diesel often has a lower BTU content it may produce lower temperatures while burning which would help to lower NOx emissions. I think in most areas now all diesel at the pump has up to 20% bio diesel content. My motorhome has lost a good mpg from when I bought it in 2004 to the fuel available now. From 8.5 to 7.5. Yes about 12%. Really sucked when fuel was $5/gallon. Just think of the added operating cost if this was a 2007 or newer and needed the diesel exhaust fluid.

Being a 2004 Caterpillars attempt to control emissions was their ACERT technology. Basically injector delivery magic and variable intake valve lift to reduce the excess air. Also low compression. The high tech fuel injection also makes for some very expensive repairs when it fails. Caterpillar avoided egr and other stuff as long as they could. They completely left the on-road business after the 2009 model year.

Dennis