Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Sep 2015 09:58:28 -0700
From:         Mark Hersh <cmwolfsburg@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: camper closet removal? Weekenders cheaper?
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com>

To each their own, I guess. When we started Westy shopping in 2005, we specifically looked for and found a Weekender. We previously had a 1971 Westfalia, and that "full" camper model had a sink and icebox, but no stove. We liked the jump seat behind the driver's seat (that was the Beagle's perch). So a Weekender was just the ticket for us. We do like the wider bed (at the shoulder level, anyway) and the greater floor space, and don't miss the stove or the fridge (ours no longer had the original 12V cooler, no surprise there).

We don't camp in such bad weather that we can't cook outside with our awning fashioned from a tarp, and we like the simplicity of the Weekender interior.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 5:32 PM, Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I was being facetious. They aren't worth more than that to me, but > they are rare and certainly worth a lot to someone who wants one. > > I get all The Samba ads emailed to me, and I've only seen one in the past > several months. > > Stuart > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Jon VO > Sent: Friday, September 25, 2015 9:06 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: camper closet removal? Weekenders cheaper? > > Weekenders w/ the poptop are almost as pricy as campers. There are a number > of folks who like the multi-purpose appeal, and being able to customize > exactly how to camp. > JonVO > > On 9/25/2015 7:47 AM, James wrote: > > Are weekenders common enough to be that much cheaper? We have a '91 > Weekender, and in three years of ownership it is the only Weekender we have > ever seen. Its wider bed gets admired from time to time (though we bought > it for the extra passenger capacity, rather than the wider bed). > > > > James > > Ottawa, ON > > > >> Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 19:54:15 -0700 > >> From: stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM > >> Subject: Re: camper closet removal? > >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >> > >> A 3" memory foam topper makes a big difference. I store it folded in > half > with a simple fitted cover made from bedsheets above. Just take out the > upper bed foam with its folding shelf. Plenty of room, well over 6". > >> > >> Buy a double bed size from the cheapest source you can find and cut it > down for width. Electric knife from the thrift store works well. > >> > >> If you really want a bigger bed, sell your camper for $20k and buy a > weekender for about $5k! > >> > >> Stuart > >> Just two of us sleeping in the van now. > >> > >> -----Original Message----- > >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On > >> Behalf Of Dave Mcneely > >> Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2015 7:22 PM > >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >> Subject: Re: camper closet removal? > >> > >> To all who offered advice on this, thanks a great deal. Looks like my > good idea is probably more like a bad idea. If I were a good cabinet > maker, > I could probably work something out that would expand the room enough to > allow two sleepers to have shoulder room, but still keep everything intact. > With the aches and pains that arise from age (we all get them, regardless > of > how active and supple we are for our age) the ability to move around a bit > more in bed becomes more important. Heh, I remember when zipping two > sleeping bags together and throwing them on a tent floor was plenty ok. I > Envy those who can do that now. > >> > >> mcneely > >> > >> ---- vw_van_fan_Mark <madvws@COX.NET> wrote: > >>> I think this general idea would help a lot of couples be more > >>> comfortable in the lower bed. Personally I am more likely to make > >>> the closet smaller rather than do away with it entirely. A filler > >>> piece would be needed but the A/C stuff would still be covered and > >>> some items could still be stowed there. > >>> > >>> Mark > >>> > >>> > >>> Dave Mcneely wrote: > >>>> Has anyone ever removed the closet and cubby behind it to get more > >>>> room for a bigger bed? I can haul the stuff I need in crates bags, > >>>> I don't need the closet or the cubby. Con't know why I haven't > thought > of this before. > >>>> David McNeely > >>>> > >> -- > >> David McNeely > > >

-- 86 Campmobile Six-Seater "Monty"

Black dogs are euthanized at a greater rate than other-colored dogs, regardless of temperament. Learn about Black Dog Syndrome at http://www.blackpearldogs.com/ Learn about black dogs in a Vanagon at http://www.pbase.com/mhersh/image/108220533