Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Sep 2015 10:31:56 -0700
From:         Steve Williams <sbw@SBW.ORG>
Subject:      GoWesty Electric and Water Tank Hookups

A little over two years ago, I bought GoWesty's replacement Electric and Water Tank filler hookups. Yesterday, I got around to installing them. Very pleased!

Both were very easy to install. Maybe 15 minutes for the electric hookup.

They pitch the electrical hookup as more rugged, and I'm sure that's true. Otherwise, it's nothing special, although it's nice the door opens more smoothly and stays open until you close it. GoWesty instructs you to re-use the plastic box that protects the wires inside the hookup, along with the screws that attach it. That's no problem, but it does leave a clunky old, yellowed plastic part in the van. Oh, well.

The water tank filler hookup, on the other hand, is a HUGE improvement! It took a little longer to install, mostly because it took time to carefully break up the old fitting after it broke off the back of the old hookup. I was able to pull the pieces out of the hose with needle-nose pliers without damaging the hose. And then it took some time to test it for leaks and to ensure the overflow line works as intended. I bought the auto-shutoff quick disconnect adapter for the hose from GoWesty, and it worked perfectly: When water started shooting out of the overflow vent in the hookup, I pulled the quick disconnect off to stop the flow.

I've never been able to get the filler hookup to work at all: Even with the filler extension tube (they call it a nozzle), I couldn't get the hose far enough into the bent filler tube inside the van to do anything except spray water down the side of the van. I've always filled the tank by taking the hose inside and removing the large cap on top of the tank.

It'll be a real pleasure to just hook up the hose to the outside to fill the tank.

I'm so happy with these parts that I just ordered the parts to replace the city water hookup. I had entirely given up on city water. When I installed a Shurflo faucet years ago, I just disconnected the city water line, so if somebody hooked a hose to it today, it'd just fill up the van with water. Today I ordered the hookup, check valve tee, and pressure regulator. With the quick-disconnect, I think I might actually use it next time I camp somewhere with a faucet.

We'll see if it takes another two years for me to get around to installing them.