Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2015, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Sep 2015 00:12:35 -0500
From:         Cary Chiang <ccchiang1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need Help diagnosing a Non-starting '86 Vanagon

Many thanks to all who offered their help and advice. I've been off the list for many years, and was unaware of that nifty test harness. I couldn't build one on short notice however, since all the Radio Shacks around here closed after the bankruptcy, and I didn't have the diodes handy. The other info was very helpful, also. I spent some time with the van yesterday with a multi-meter, and found 12 volts at the alternator terminal, but none at the terminal inside the black box, or at the coil terminal with the key on. I ran a 12 volt jumper wire to the black box terminal, heard the fuel pump energize, and the engine started right up. After shutting off the engine and disconnecting the jumper wire (but with key still in "on" position), I heard the ECU / fuel pump relays clicking continuously. I found 9-10 volts at the coil terminal, where previously there was none. It seems that I may have a bad connection of the D15(?) wire that some of you mentioned? I ran out of time to check for voltage / corrosion of that wire at the fuse block, but will check for it next time. In reading the thread on the wiring bypass harness, I saw mention of a "D15 carbon / corrosion problem", and installing a relay to take the load off of that wire. Rather than install a relay, is it possible to attach the D15 wire to another "key-on 12 volt" source on the back of the fuse block instead?