Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Oct 2015 11:22:26 -0400
From:         James <jk_eaton@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: NVC Re: VW gave diesel drivers what they wanted!
Comments: To: "SDF aka ;jim lahey' - Scott" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Scott,

I did not 'Justify illegality' and I would thank you not to put words in my mouth.

I did give an alternate viewpoint that may have been in the mind of VW engineers when they committed this illegality; a viewpoint that has not appeared yet in any news on this issue that I have seen, yet would be important to the VW diesel drivers I know.

At the end of my post, I made it clear that I know that VW's actions were illegal.

James Ottawa, ON

Subject: Re: NVC Re: VW gave diesel drivers what they wanted! To: jk_eaton@HOTMAIL.COM; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM From: scottdaniel@turbovans.com Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 12:10:25 -1000

You could work for VW since you are so skilled at Justifying illegality ! "We're just giving them what they want ! ' ..and hey ...if we have to trick the regulators a little to do that ...that's ok. That would be an interesting poll : what portion of VW diesel owners bought their car largely because they are suppossidly 'clean' and not environmentally so harmful ? or ...of the 3 biggies .....fuel economy, power/driveability and environmental correctness.. what wight would they give to each category ? I suspect that joe average consumer is concerned first with their own personal benefit, and less so about the larger environmental picture. < lol...and that is what is taught subtly and pervasively throughout Consumerism ..it's all about what you can get for yourself. > In Portland OR, just on the tv news the other night .. a diesel car owner found a note on his windshield in the morning ...blasting him for driving a polluting car. This is 'So Portland' was the guy's reaction. Scott On 10/1/2015 9:29 AM, James wrote: The opposite argument to this is that they did it for the faithful VW loving diesel owner. Let me explain this alternate argument. If you have a VW diesel, you probably value its fuel economy and power most - not many people outside of the LA and Frankfurt 'smog basins' or the EPA care that much about NOx. By running with this 'trick' software, VW gave owners the best of both worlds - a car that will pass emissions tests as required by governments, AND a car that gets fabulous fuel economy and great power in real-world driving. I know very few VW diesel owners who boast about their car's low pollution numbers. I know a lot of VW diesel owners who boast about their car's power and exceptional fuel economy - about how they get even better fuel mileage than the EPA/Transport Canada estimates. In that sense, VW was just giving its faithful diesel owners EXACTLY what they wanted. Pity that what VW diesel drivers wanted was technically impossible, and the VW solution to give it to them was thus illegal. James Ottawa, ON Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 13:31:43 -1000 From: scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM Subject: Re: NVC Re: VW, honour, and culture To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM it's a big deal because.... 3. IT WAS INTENTIONAL DECEPTION. they tricked everyone ..apparently intentionally ...the faithful VW-loving owner...