Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Oct 2015 17:58:13 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: NVC Re: VW gave diesel drivers what they wanted! Tailpipe
              Emissions!
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Other than that the tail pipe was used, I do not know what else happened. I drove through a gate, stopped on command (from a machine), and then followed a technician's instructions. When he said put the car in neutral, I did. When he said put it in gear, I did. When he said step on the gas, I did. He gave me a printout, which he advised me to put with my registration papers. I did. My camper is a 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Campmobile, 2.1 l engine, 4 speed manual transmission. IIRC, the test was required before I could register the vehicle here upon moving to the state from Oklahoma, where there is no emissions testing.

mcneely

---- Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > Here in New York everything 96 and newer emissions inspection rely on the on board OBDII. Plug it in, no fault codes and the ready indicators set and you are good to go. So your van passed easily! What were the requirements? Was it a dynamometer test? All the state emissions test look for the gross polluters, something really wrong. No Dyno! There was no test for NOx emissions. That has to be done under load. We had the dyno test here. Bad catalysts, over advanced ignition timing, O2 sensors, EGR valves, you name it that test would fail for anything wrong. > > Dennis > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Dave Mcneely > Sent: Friday, October 02, 2015 12:34 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: NVC Re: VW gave diesel drivers what they wanted! Tailpipe Emissions! > > ---- Theodore Hoekman <thoekman@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > An interesting op-ed in the NYTimes about existing technology for monitoring emissions on the road, very much like photo traffic lights. This would also whack the twits who tune their big diesel pickups to generate maximum smoke. > > Apparently the use of this technology in Colorado gave the first warnings about VW and Audi diesel emissions excesses. If your >car is shown to meet emissions standards you get to renew license without a DMV emissions test in some jurisdictions. > > > I live in Spokane, Washington. My Prius is "certified," and does not require testing. My camper does require testing. Passes readily, and I do have an external oil cooler, which some on here have said is a modification and makes a difference. The testing center did not even look at the engine, they just did the tail pipe thing. > > > > > > http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/01/opinion/test-emissions-where-cars-po > > llute-on-the-road.html > > > > Ted > > > > > > On Oct 2, 2015, at 10:37 AM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: > > > > > The net effect is the type of emissions. Reduced efficiency means in > > > increase in the carbon footprint. A little CO2 won't kill you. A > > > little NOx will. If increasing the efficiency increases the creation > > > and release of harmful compounds such as NOx that is a problem and > > > that is the main issue here. NOx is on the radar in any area with > > > air quality issues. These areas have regulations for most fuel > > > burning appliances including furnaces, boilers, and water heaters. > > > NOx is the major reason that vehicle modifications are frowned upon. > > > Most anything you do to increase power or performance is going > > > effect the NOx production. Even changing tire sizes and gearing changes the emissions characteristics under load. > > > > > > Being familiar with many different vehicles, VW has always tried to > > > cheap out on emissions controls. These vehicles probably should have > > > had the urea injection systems that many other 2007 and later > > > Diesels have to reduce the NOx. > > > > > > Dennis > > > > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On > > > Behalf Of Angus Gordon > > > Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2015 9:22 PM > > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > > Subject: Re: NVC Re: VW gave diesel drivers what they wanted! > > > > > > Actually James makes a very valid point, in that both fuel > > > efficiency and tailpipe emissions must be considered. If VW cuts > > > tailpipe emissions in terms of PPM at the expense of fuel economy, what is the net effect? > > > Consideration should be given to measuring emissions output per > > > mile, along with minimal fuel use. That would be something useful. > > > > > > Angus > > > > > > > > >> On Oct 1, 2015, at 3:10 PM, SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott ) > > > <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> wrote: > > >> > > >> You could work for VW since you are so skilled at Justifying illegality ! > > >> "We're just giving them what they want ! ' ..and hey ...if we have > > >> to trick the regulators a little to do that ...that's ok. > > >> > > >> That would be an interesting poll : > > >> what portion of VW diesel owners bought their car largely because > > >> they are suppossidly 'clean' and not environmentally so harmful ? > > >> > > >> or ...of the 3 biggies .....fuel economy, power/driveability and > > >> environmental correctness.. > > >> what wight would they give to each category ? > > >> > > >> I suspect that joe average consumer is concerned first with their > > >> own personal benefit, and less so about the larger environmental picture. > > >> < lol...and that is what is taught subtly and pervasively > > >> throughout Consumerism ..it's all about what you can get for > > >> yourself. > > > >> > > >> In Portland OR, just on the tv news the other night .. > > >> a diesel car owner found a note on his windshield in the morning > > >> ...blasting him for driving a polluting car. > > >> This is 'So Portland' was the guy's reaction. > > >> Scott > > >> > > >>> On 10/1/2015 9:29 AM, James wrote: > > >>> The opposite argument to this is that they did it for the faithful > > >>> VW > > > loving diesel owner. > > >>> Let me explain this alternate argument. > > >>> > > >>> If you have a VW diesel, you probably value its fuel economy and > > >>> power > > > most - not many people outside of the LA and Frankfurt 'smog basins' > > > or the EPA care that much about NOx. By running with this 'trick' > > > software, VW gave owners the best of both worlds - a car that will > > > pass emissions tests as required by governments, AND a car that gets > > > fabulous fuel economy and great power in real-world driving. > > >>> > > >>> I know very few VW diesel owners who boast about their car's low > > > pollution numbers. I know a lot of VW diesel owners who boast about > > > their car's power and exceptional fuel economy - about how they get > > > even better fuel mileage than the EPA/Transport Canada estimates. > > >>> > > >>> In that sense, VW was just giving its faithful diesel owners > > >>> EXACTLY what > > > they wanted. > > >>> > > >>> Pity that what VW diesel drivers wanted was technically > > >>> impossible, and > > > the VW solution to give it to them was thus illegal. > > >>> > > >>> > > >>> James > > >>> Ottawa, ON > > >>> > > >>>> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 13:31:43 -1000 > > >>>> From: scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM > > >>>> Subject: Re: NVC Re: VW, honour, and culture > > >>>> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > >>>> > > >>>> it's a big deal because.... > > >>>> > > >>>> 3. IT WAS INTENTIONAL DECEPTION. > > >>>> they tricked everyone ..apparently intentionally ...the > > >>>> faithful VW-loving owner... > > >>>> > > >>> > > -- > David McNeely

-- David McNeely