Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Oct 2015 10:59:54 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Propane tank restore or replace
Comments: To: Nick Feickert <thesuperflydisco@GMAIL.COM>

I have witnessed two tanks fail, one of them was mine. Mine failed while being filled. A pin hole popped from the inside out. Even though there was no fire it resulted in a 5 truck response and they were going to foam the van down. Lucky I knew what to say and they stood by until the tank was empty.

I had to provide documentation that the tank was factory installed. The tag was still there so being an ASME tank I didn't need proof of inspection or test.

Dennis, From my phone.

-----Original Message----- From: "Nick Feickert" <thesuperflydisco@GMAIL.COM> Sent: ‎10/‎6/‎2015 10:45 AM To: "vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM" <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: Propane tank restore or replace

Ok. I've been reading a lot in the archives on options for the tank. My plan was to remove all the fittings, refinish the tank with POR-15 and fresh white paint, replace the regulator, shut off valve, and maybe the fill valve. Bleeder valve looks good as does the fill valve but I noticed that the rubber gasket in the inside end has a small gap in it. Anyway, I see the new tanks offered by GW, BD, Van Cafe all have the additional relief valve that the OEM tanks don't have. So let's get down to the brass tacks (pun intended). Is the only real issue here the cost of a new tank? Can a refurbished LP tank be just a good and complaint and a new one?(or at least be grandfathered in) Do you still have issues with stations not wanting to fill a NEW tank? I seems to me that the OEM tanks work just fine as long as all the components are in good working order....so let's hear from you!!! Do I refurbish or replace???

Peace, Nick