Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Oct 2015 10:10:28 -0400
From:         Vincent Dow <ianvincentdow@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Propane tank restore or replace
Comments: To: vw_van_fan_Mark <madvws@cox.net>

I rebuilt my tank last Fall while the tranny was out. New regulator, new valve, and a nice white paint job.

A friend in Nova Scotia, Canada who tows an airsteam around behind his land rover told me it was a good idea to *new up* the tank. Some propane suppliers in Canada ask to see a tag certifying the tank has been updated. That seems to be a carry-over from regs pertaining to disposable propane cylinders such as those strapped to trailer tongues. Those have a fixed life-span - before they're left in the desert at shooting ranges.

Our Westfalia propane tanks are much heavier and stronger than those.

(a crazy thing is emptying the propane tank for rebuild - I did it out in an industrial wasteland and it discharged for a surprisingly long time - very spooky looking low gas cloud through the weeds - like WW1)