Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Oct 2015 19:51:57 -0500
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: 10/07 TIPS for Passing CA test-only smog?  An 1981 air-cooled
              Vanagon camper
Comments: To: lindamerrillberkeley@YAHOO.COM

I read the other two responses and both are correct if you have something marginal going on. Your car should pass if everything is hooked up properly, assuming nothing that would cause an issue is worn out of spec and it's in proper tune. And if you do fail you have something to repair. This "in theory" is why the smog tests exist.

Or you could move to the great state of Alabama where we don't smog test vehicles. We don't have vehicle inspections either! The state figured out a long time ago that both are a waste of resident's money and I agree.

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.kegkits.com www.stir-plate.com www.towercooler.com www.grow-sun.com www.raspberryproject.com http://goo.gl/niRzVw

10/07 TIPS for Passing CA test-only smog? 1981 air-cooled Vanagon camper

Hi, California Vanagon people,

Thank you for your help with this!

My VW needs smogging -- which had to wait for the no-warm start solution and repair.

That was complete this Monday, 10/5.

Worry and avoidance continue here . . . I keep putting off going for the smog -- and now would like your best tips on How-To . . .

What would you do?

Use Premium fuel?

Drive her how long in advance?

Have her warm or cool?

Anything do / don't do?

Thank you, and hoping for a speedy reply : ) ,

Linda

P.S. Before last week, she hadn't gone 15 miles in a year.

I have a new air filter -- and no one to pay to look at her.

The men who fixed the electrical ground are Volvo mechanics -- and left the engine area as they found it.

She has just about 50,000 miles, and passed smog easily last time -- I think.

(She May have been close to the upper limit on the Highest allowed number range ? )

P.P.S. My regist. Ended August 2015.

I paid for it in August at AAA Auto Club In August.

This link says I will have to pay my regis fee again. What do you know about that?

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Smog.html

Yikes, I hope I won't need to re-pay ...

Bless you and thanks so much!