Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Oct 2015 16:59:01 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Continuous Duty Solenoid vs Starter Solenoid; Visual
              Difference?
Comments: To: "sailingfc dslextreme.com" <sailingfc@dslextreme.com>

Dick: I'd hoped to be able to google a part number off the part in question but no luck there. re: coil. Ok. I understand what you mean. My first concern was the contacts melting and-or seizing up but I see how the coil would be the potential issue.

Stuart: I see what you mean. I entered "12 volt starter solenoid" in google images, and found this on amazon http://tinyurl.com/oywgpzl but then it does show "continuous duty" in description.

My aux. batteries are a group 41 and 27 flooded cell type so are not enormous but the group 27 could demand a large amount of current when drawn down.

Neil.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 4:44 PM, sailingfc dslextreme.com < sailingfc@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> Unless there are markings that say it is for continuous duty, you can't > tell by appearance if it is or is not. You need to get the spec. sheet for > the part. > > A starter solenoid is rated for high current, but not necessarily designed > for continuous duty. Think about it, the starter only runs for 5 seconds, > maybe (if all things are in order), then the solenoid is "off" the rest of > the time. > > Can a starter solenoid be used for continuous duty? It depends on how hot > the energized coil gets over time, not how much current is going through > the contacts. > > Find the spec. sheet. > > Hope this helps. > > -Dick- > 87 Syncro (Blaze) > >

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>