Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Oct 2015 23:41:29 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Continuous Duty Solenoid vs Starter Solenoid; Visual
              Difference?
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

These "ignition" solenoids, (relays) are common for trucks, busses, RVs, industrial equipment etc. For these applications there are many things that need high current control including manifold pre-heaters and glow plugs to get engines started to air tank drain valve heaters to keep them from icing up in winter. They are for continuous duty.

The duty refers to the coil design. Relays designed for starters that do have built in solenoids such as those found on older Fords are designed for short term operation, under a minute and to operate under lower voltages during the starting process where battery voltage may drop as low as 8-10 volts. Continuous operation of these starter relays at >13 volts usually does them in around 5 to 10 minutes. If really unlucky the melt down will short the coil out and since most do not fuse these coil circuits you will get to deal with other damage. Use the alternator warning light circuit as is often done on a Westy and you also get to replace the alternator and that blue wire.

Dennis