Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Oct 2015 23:10:34 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 10/16 ORIGINAL POST is here ... Fw: 10/15 Need Advice AND
              Repairs (1991 GMC Vandura) in BERKELEY, Calif.
Comments: To: lindamerrillberkeley@yahoo.com

Linda, You may P-mail me after today as this is not Vanagon stuff.

Your symptom to me sounds like the torque converter is not unlocking as you are coming to a stop. This is a common problem. The usual cause is a bad solenoid valve in the transmission or the torque converter lock up clutch itself is bad. Someone knowledgeable should be able to find the connector and disconnect it for testing.

Your fuel economy seems way below normal unless you city driving is like 50 stop-go. You didn't mention if you have the 4.3 V6 or 5.7 V8. Even the V8 should do 14-16 MPG highway.

It is somewhat common for the intake manifolds to be leakers especially on the V6. If not caught really early there is often some engine damage that goes with this. Antifreeze going down the intake valves is not good for anything. Engine compression and leak down test along with oil analysis should always be done after this repair.

With new radiators being relatively available why in heck would someone do a re-core?

With the fuel pump replacement was any though given to the condition of the fuel tank? Is it loaded with rust? How about the filter? Was the pump aftermarket or true OEM. I find replacement pumps seem to have about a 1 in 3 chance of being bad.

Another possibility for bad operation is the ignition modules for these. Sometimes they will fail when hot and work fine for cold start and warm up operation. These are not difficult vehicles to diagnose.

It's not just Vanagons that can challenge shops and have difficulty finding competent techs.

Dennis

-----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Larry Alofs Sent: Friday, October 16, 2015 1:21 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: 10/16 ORIGINAL POST is here ... Fw: 10/15 Need Advice AND Repairs (1991 GMC Vandura) in BERKELEY, Calif.

Don't start the subject line with a number!