Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Oct 2015 16:42:21 -0700
From:         vw_van_fan_Mark <madvws@COX.NET>
Subject:      trip report, 12 vans plus 10 more

On Fri my wife Anne and I arrived at Red Rock Canyon State Park, meeting up with a bunch of Vanagons from all around California. There are several parks in the US with similar names to this one north of Los Angeles on the edge of the Mohave Desert. It has interesting rock formations and some trails through them and the scraggly surrounding desert. Some of us were in Syncros and some used them to explore more remote locations before returning to base camp. The campout was organized by Salim Miro of Country Homes Campers and most of us knew each other from other VW events we had been to. We occupied several adjacent campsites and as more vans arrived they filled in among us to share site space wherever they were comfortable. Late in the day a pickup loaded with gear came by and stopped at an empty site near to me. The solo woman inside walked over asked if we minded another group of VWs camping next to us and of course we welcomed the idea. A few minutes later a parade of nicely fixed up VW vans could be seen in the distance below as they worked their way up to the base of the cliffs where we were camped. It was a caravan from Vintage Surfari Wagons, on the last night of a week-long trip in the Sierra Mtns of California. They operate a small fleet of various years of VW vans, available for rent and sometimes used in group tours. The two VW groups had their own main camps but we mixed freely and this made for a more interesting time. What are the odds of that many vans accidentally ending up in the same place at the same time?

Mark Drillock