Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Oct 2015 22:36:18 -0700
From:         Keith Hughes <keithahughes@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: I-4 conversion general info

Their kit will, indeed, allow for mounting of the ABA/AEG engines under the engine cover. The kit is designed with flexibility to locate the hydraulic mounts either above, or below, the carrier bar as needed, depending on the engine used. This amount of raising/lowering will allow the ABA/AEG to fit under the engine cover. This is *not*, however, the case with the diesel bell housing which positions the engine considerably higher than the FAS system. They are doing one of their GenV conversions for me now, and I'll pick it up sometime next month. I'll be heading from Maine back to Phx. AZ, and will be happy to post my experiences once I get home. I've been out to FAS to see the products, and I can say that the engineering is simply top shelf. I haven't seen the Eurospec, or Kennedy products, so I can't really compare, but I did have a Tiico and that's a Mazerati (FAS) versus Yugo (Tiico) comparison.

Keith Hughes '86 Westy ex-Tiico (Marvin) ------------------------------ Date:    Tue, 27 Oct 2015 18:18:11 -0700 From:    Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> Subject: Re: I-4 conversion general info It's my understanding that with this kit: http://www.foreignautosupply.com/parts-accessories/67-in-line-4-cylinder-va= nagon-engine-conversion-basic-install-kit/#.VjAgXyhiEy4 the AEG will fit under the lid. But. I'm about certain this kit lowers the drivetrain a little. I recall seeing an image posted by mellowslow on thesamba showing engine-deck but can't find it. Mellowslow claims that his FAS AEG fits under the lid. Some images of his swap: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=3Daeg&sea= rch_terms=3Dall&search_author=3Dmellowslow&search_forum%5B%5D=3D58&search_t= ime=3D0&search_fields=3Dall&show_results=3Dposts&sort_by=3D0&sort_dir=3DDES= C Neil. de?) and lower it a little to clear the engine lid.