Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Nov 2015 23:33:43 -0500
From:         James <jk_eaton@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil pressure light and buzzer Checking engine grounding1
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Dennis,

"Just think of audio humming with unbalance circuits or alternator and ignition noises to your radio. "

Sorry, no. Alternator and ignition noises (RFI) in the radio have nothing to do with grounds or ground loops - except that if your ground is no longer a good ground, and has developed resistance or capacitance from rust and corrosion, then the RFI may be worse, as it is not being grounded out correctly.

Audio humming should also not be a problem in a vehicle running on 12 VDC - audio humming from poor grounding connections in home and commercial audio systems is caused because those environments are bathed in 60Hz alternating magnetic fields, where wiring of varying resistances and lengths can pick up current by induction from the 60Hz fields.

In our 12 VDC Vanagons, adding additional ground connections is not going to produce hum or RFI - if an additional ground seems to have that effect, it probably means somewhere else there is an electrical problem in the vehicle - for instance, a failing ground strap from transmission or engine to frame, whose resistance is substantially higher than the newly added ground strap.

James Ottawa, ON