Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Nov 2015 11:30:13 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front suspension bushing overhaul plus
Comments: To: Richard Koller <brvkoller@GMAIL.COM>

Can you send some pictures of the damage? Do you have comprehensive coverage? This may be covered. It is always poor practice to lift at a corner or side with one end off the suspension. A great way to tweak the body and chassis.

Dennis, From my phone. ________________________________ From: Richard Koller<mailto:brvkoller@GMAIL.COM> Sent: ‎11/‎9/‎2015 10:23 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM<mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: Front suspension bushing overhaul plus

Thanks to all who provided great advice and parts for my suspension project. I installed a complete set of front Powerflex bushings from T3. Once I got the hang of the suspension quirks and it all went together fairly smoothly. And then disaster struck, I had the van on jackstands up front and decided to rotate the tires. I foolishly started jacking the rear thinking all would be secure and didn't realize ( and I should have ) that the front was also rising off the jackstands. So of course the jack in the back shifted and down went the syncro. Fortunately I was at the rear and not in the way of the fall. Unfortunately, I had a bottle jack under the control arm and the van shifted just perfectly so that it landed on the bottle jack with the front subframe. One of the side frames hit dead center on the jack and of course the frame was severely bent. I'm thinking the subframe is toast and not repairable am I correct? All advice and severe lecturing welcome. Foolish ( but not crushed ) Rick Koller