Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Nov 2015 10:22:49 -0800
From:         Pat Spragge/RFAN <Pat.Spragge@RFAN.COM>
Subject:      Re: crank, wont start_coil testing
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

"Most likely what happens is the insulation breaks down and during the high voltage spike some of that energy shorts out and you get a weak spark."

Before I go searching in my Bentley, do you know what the resistance specs should be for the primary and secondary windings in an '89 ? Is this the best way to check a coil?

Pat

Most likely what happens is the insulation breaks down and during the high voltage spike some of that energy shorts out and you get a weak spark. It may not be obvious when checking but keep in mind the other losses between the coil and the spark plug, especially the gap between the distributor rotor and cap pin. A bad coil can even test good with an ohm meter. For diagnostics it is best to short the output to ground. Besides safety the open circuit will cause high voltage stress on the insulation. The output current is really self-limited by the resistance of the output coil. And yes coils can be damaged by being energized continuously.

Dennis

From: Larry Alofs [mailto:lalofs@gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2015 10:31 AM To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> Cc: vanagonlist a <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> Subject: Re: crank, wont start

What do you think can cause coil failure, besides simple deterioration from age and heat?

Is it a bad thing to short the HV coil wire to ground while doing a compression test?

Would continuous current thru the primary side cause overheating and damage?

When I find old coils lying around in vans that I have bought for parts, I get the feeling that people have changed them attempting to fix other problems.

Larry A.